Tuesday, March 14, 2017

You're so Ugly

Have you ever had those moments where you've just felt so unattractive?  Well, you are not alone.  There are so many of us out there that have the same feelings.  It's fine every so often as long as we don't stay in that negative space for too long. 

For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with body image issues.  Back in September I thought that I would like to do some semblance of a boudoir photo shoot so that I could look and feel good.  My husband is a photographer, but I know that he is not in the business of doing boudoir shoots, but I figured I would ask him.  Long story short, I told him I would like one for myself and two other ladies.  We just wanted a feel good shoot.  He said he would do it. I let the ladies know;  they were my oldest sister and a good friend.  We were so excited and chatted about what we would wear, themes, dates, etc.  We finally set the date for December 17, 2016.  We decided on a Super Hero costume as well as some type of lingerie. We had months of planning, shopping, trying on clothes and chatting via FB messenger.  At the beginning of December, my sister and I found out that our friend would be unable to make it to the shoot because well...life happens.

The night before the shoot, my sister and niece spent the night at my house.  On the morning of the 17th, it became real when my husband told us he was taking us to the makeup artist.  The excitement really began.  I don't think either of us really knew what to expect as we had never done anything of this magnitude before.  My makeup was applied first, and when she finished and gave me the mirror, I was like, "I don't even know who I am."  Cheshire cat grin was all over my face.  She said my sister's face would be easy because it would be like she was doing mine all over again since we "look like twins."

I snapped so many pictures of myself.  Once my sister came out, she did the same. I think my look was kind of sultry, and hers reminded me of a Barbie doll.  I speak for both of us when I say we felt so amazing and glamorous.  We got something to eat and went back to the house to eat and get ready.  We got our clothes and hair together and went to the studio for our photo shoot.  My husband had the studio set up rather nicely.  While I know my husband to be a thoughtful person, to be honest, it was a lot more thoughtful than I expected.  The first shots were in the lingerie.  My sister went first, and I was so excited, screaming, clapping, jumping up and down.  The energy was through the roof.  We were out there for about 4 hours total, and we could not stop smiling.  The excitement felt on that day was really like no other.  It was such a monumental experience, and I feel like everyone should have it at least one day in their life.  I don't think I will ever forget the energy and overwhelming excitement of that day.  In a year's time, we want a repeat.  Our minds are ready!!!

Here are a few shots from our session. 

Me with the blonde

My Sister's beauty shot

Sis in the black and white shot 


My lingerie shot



Our superhero shot


Our silhouette


Make-up artist:  Charlene Dunlap
Photographer:  Pdillon Photography
#Effyourbeautystandards



6 comments:

  1. Y'all look beautiful! Your husband did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL......as you both ALWAYS have been! I'm glad to see you experiencing and embracing what we see! Love you Ladies! #2for2 #INNER&OUTER BEAUTY #Fabulous
    ~ Zae ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lady. That was one day, but it's definitely a daily struggle for self love and acceptance.

      Delete